Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Drive Home

Friday August 1st

11:38 am We hit the road!!
12:35 pm Ally, "Are we still in Georgia??" as we make our first 5 min stop in Elberton Ga. "Yes Ally we have only been in the car 1 hour. And it begins....
12:39 South Carolina line
1:35 We stop for Zaxby's one last time. Ummm Good!!
2:35 Gas up at $3.62 a gallon and hit the road. We are headed for Spartanburg.
3:14 North Carolina line
3:38 Ally, "I miss Kk and Lyssa." Me too, Let's turn around!!
3:40 Thank you Jesus, the little angels are sleeping.
5:00 Nap times over and the whining begins....
5:25 Quick stop in North Carolina.
5:40 On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again....
6:41 Ally, "Are we in Florida yet?" Obviously we need to work on our geography a bit. Followed by "Where is the hotel?, I'm sweaty! My heiny hurts!!" And Ansley who wants me to "look mommy!" at everything she sees out her window. Oh how I love traveling!!! And to think we are still 20 miles from the Virgina state line with 580 more miles in the trip to go!! Yippie!!!!
7:00 pm Quick stop at the Virgina state line.
7:15 On the road again...........
8:30 Gas up at $3.82 a gallon and eat at good ole Micky Dee's. Ally won't eat. Not even the ice-cream sundae. We'd better call it a night.
9:45 pm To the hotel we go.......
10:25 The 3rd attempt to find a decent hotel. Ally is throwing up in the parking lot! Well that would explain why even ice-cream was a no go. Thank you God she wasn't in the car. 500 miles with throw up in the floor board may have been more than even I could take. Into the hotel we go. First room is full of boxes. OK, easy mistake they are using this one for storage. Back to the desk. New key, new room. Jerry goes to get the bags. This room has no sheets on the beds and there is a toilet in the bedroom area.
10:34 pm We're leaving. On to the 4th attempt at finding a decent place to stay.
11:04 Hated to do it but we're at a motel. Crazy but much nicer than the hotel from hell!!
11:25 Everyone is in bed. Ahhh, Nite Nite!!

Saturday August 2nd

9:35 am Ansley poops on the potty!! Yeah Ansley!!
9:45 On the road AGAIN..... 466 miles. About 7 more hours on the road. "I think I can, I think I can......"
10:05 Ally is already asleep. Obviously she is not well.
11:07 DC traffic. Ugggg
11:35 Detour
12:40 pm Stop for lunch in Maryland.
1:30 Back on the road.
2:02 Delaware state line. The girls are sleeping. Traffic is soooo bad. Maybe I'll take a nap!!
2:58 We're moving again. Yippie!! Only one hour wasted in this stupid car.
3:00 New Jersey state line, ahhhh progress.
4:32 Gas up on the turnpike for $3.85 a gallon. Quick potty break.
5:00 Back on the road. 152 miles to go. GPS says 2.5 hours.
5:50 George Washington Bridge traffic. Oh crap the toll is $8.00, I have $4.00. I call Jerry. He has exactly $8.00. Crap, start scrounging for change. What am thinking. Damn my compulsive cleaning. There's no change in here and we are past the last exit. Jerry's calling. We are saved by mom and the $2 dollar bill. (I'll save this story for another blog entry). Jerry has 2 $2 dollar bills in his wallet. We have just enough. Just for giggles I ask the toll guy what happens when you don't have enough to pay. Oh they bill you in the mail, $35.00 dollars that is. Robbery. Thank goodness for mom and the $2 dollar bills. Thankfully that is the last toll.
6:00 Just kidding. Another toll. We pull off the last exit. Finally find some random gas station with an ATM and withdraw $20.00. So I figure the $1.50 toll cost us more like $10.00 when you count the $6 dollars in fees we had to pay to withdraw it.
6:38 Connecticut state line. I thought it would never happen.
7:20 Oh my gosh I think I just saw a sign for 91 north!!
8:03 Five miles from the house. Ally "I miss Kk and Lyssa, lets go back" Not on your life!! It's subway and BED!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: