Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The bike saga

So Jerry has been incredible lately. Every day while I work he has been taking the girls to the library to read books on the summer reading list. He even got Ally her own library card which she was thrilled to receive. So today as I am working I get a call from him asking me if $50 dollars was too much to pay for a bike. My answer was simple. It depends, what kind of bike and what shape is it in? His reply was his bike. Now for those who don't know his bike was stolen several months ago and we had contemplated replacing it over the summer but they are just so expensive. Long story short, while driving through Rockville to the town library he sees this bike sitting on the curb and gets out to take a look. He quickly realizes it is his bike due to a notable scratch he put on it when it was new and the serial number and was getting ready to put it in the car when he is approached by a rather large man who wants to know what he is doing with his bike. Jerry tells him it is his bike and then offers the thief $50 bucks to get it back because Jerry is certain he isn't the one who actually stole the bike. (I don't know who is more trusting Jerry or Ally) He even listened to this sob story about how the guy is riding back and forth to work on it and offered to let him keep it. In the end he paid $45 dollars and got the bike back. This of coarse went completely against my better judgement as I would have taken the police over there with the copy of the police report and receipt for the bike with serial number and taken the darn thing back rightfully. But no not my husband. Now we are the proud owners of poorly cared for $200.00 mountain bike now worth $245.00. The crooks parting words were for Jerry to keep it locked up next time. So for all of his flaws my husband has tolerance much greater than I and for that how can I be mad. Not only that the sheer excitement on Ally's face when we got her Daddy's bike back was priceless.

1 comment:

The Singer Family said...

Crazy amazing! Jerry's a good guy--I think I would have been siding with you Gina, though if you're dealing with a theif you've gotta be careful!